Connecting you with Fall Creek Public Library news, information, and ideas

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gaudy Day Storytime & Up, Up and Away Storytime

Due to last week's conference, I did not get to posting last week's storytime, Gaudy Day. So today you can read all about TWO storytimes :)

October 17: Gaudy Day

Good Morning Song: Hello, How Are You

 My Dress-Up Box by DK Readers

Then I got gaudy! I put on a wig then sang "I Know an Old Lady who wore a..." I put on some awful 1980s parachute pants, mismatched socks, an awful purple robe, and a big hat. I stayed that way through most of the storytime!






I'm All Dressed by Robie H. Harris













"Shake your scarves" by Johnette Downing. Yes, we shook our scarves.












Chamelia by Ethan Long

The Clothing Chant from Ready to Go Storytimes CD - used felt pictures from clipart and we did actions similar buttoning, zipping, snapping, hooking, and tying.







Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin

"Will you wear red, oh my dear, oh my dear? Will you wear read, Jenny Jenkins?" Started out with a red felt figure then added different clothes in different colors, including a black umbrella, so it looked like Jenny Jenkins is ready for rain.








Goodbye Songs: It is Time to Say Goodbye (& then)
Wave your elbow goodbye.
Wave your bellybutton goodbye.
Wave your nose goodbye.
Wave your ear goodbye.
Wave your foot goodbye.
Wave your chin goodbye.
Wave your hands and say, "Goodbye."

Then we played dress up - I had three boxes of hats, shirts, dresses, masks, Halloween costumes, vests, and more! Good times!








October 23: Up, Up, and Away Storytime

Goodmorning Song: Hellow, How are You? by Dr. Jean

Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm by Jerdine Nelson. I did not read it word for word due to the young audience.

Using ribbon wands, we pretended to float like balloons as I sang part of a favorite camp song of mine, Red Balloon. Words are: 
Give me a red balloon on a long black string,
I can whistle and I can sing
With my red balloon on a long black string.
I am richer than any king.

Chorus (i sang it twice in a row):
Laughs are many and tears are few.
Life's exciting and always new
In a world of girls and boys,
In a world of simple joys.

Then I repeated the first verse.

Balloons Balloons Balloons by Dee Lillegard

Then we moved to the Village Hall where we played parachute games with the balloons on the parachute.

After putting the parachute away, we danced around with our balloons while listening to The Backyardigans' "Hold On Tight" and Colleen and Uncle Squaty's "Shake it Down, Turn Around."






Goodbye Songs: It is Time to Say Goodbye (and then:)
Wave your foot goodbye.
Wave your knees goodbye.
Wave your elbow goodbye.
Wave your backside goodbye.
Wave your nose goodbye.
Wave your balloons goodbye.
Wave your hands and say "Goodbye."

Each child went home with a balloon.



Next week: Harvest Time

No comments:

Post a Comment